WILBOR access with an Altoona library card is restricted to Altoona and rural Polk County residents.
Audio on Kindle
Audio on Kindle Fire
Transferring Audio to a Portable Player (iPod, MP3, etc.)
Audio for Mac Computers
Adobe Digital Editions (if this is required it will be noted in your device's guide above)
Overdrive Media Console
(if this is required it will be noted in your device's guide above)
Questions about Downloading AudioBooks
- Do I have to download the entire book at once?
- You can download audio books in parts. Select the parts you want to download and then click Ok.
- How long will it take to download the book?
- Download times will vary with the length of the book and the speed of your Internet connection. If you are on a dial-up connection, you should expect download to be slow.
- Can I download the title multiple times?
- For audio books, there is no limit to the number of times you can download the title. Throughout the 3-week check out period, you can download the parts at separate times.
- I have downloaded part of my book. How do I download the other parts?
- Follow these steps:
- Open OverDrive Media Console.
- Locate the desired title in your 'Media Library', and single-click it. This will select that title.
- Click the 'Download' button at the top of the OverDrive Media Console. The 'Download Part(s)' dialog box is displayed, and lists all of the parts of the selected title.
- If you are not already online, connect to the Internet.
- Locate the part which you want to download, and place a checkmark in the checkbox to the left of the desired part.
- Click the 'OK' button. The selected part will begin downloading, and the download status will be displayed in the lower-right hand corner of OverDrive Media Console.
Which Devices Can I Use?
You need to have Windows Media Player on your computer. You can use version 9, 10, or 11.
To transfer using OverDrive Media Console 2.1 or newer:
- Plug in your portable device to the computer in the USB port.
- From OverDrive Media Console, click the Transfer button.
- A window appears asking you to plug in your device. Click Next.
- Select which parts of the file you want to transfer to your device.
- Click Next.
- Files will sync to the portable device.
Burning AudioBooks to CD
You must download any audio book file to your computer first for them to work correctly. From there you can burn them to a CD. You must have a CD burner in order to burn audio books to CD.
Each 'part' of an OverDrive audio book will take up one entire CD.
You need to have Windows Media Player on your computer. You can use version 9 or higher.
To burn OverDrive titles to CD:
- Open OverDrive Media Console, highlight your book and click the 'Burn' button.
- The OverDrive Media Console Burn Wizard opens. Click 'Next.'
- The Burn Wizard shows which parts of the file are available on your computer. Each part will fill one CD.
- Click the boxes next to each part to select the parts you want to burn to CD.
- Click 'Next.'
- Insert a blank CDR in your CD-RW drive and click the 'Start Burn' button.